top of page

Parent teacher association

Public·100 members

Aaron Rodriguez
Aaron Rodriguez

Jvc Fx-330 Fm Am Tuner Manual

I don't listen my tuner JVC FX-1100 for several year.Now when I turn on to "FM mode auto" - no sound. But when I switch to mono, the sound appears. Signal strenght of radio station 70-90dB. What could be the problem?

Jvc Fx-330 Fm am Tuner Manual

Search eBay tunersBecome a TIC Supporter: HomeRecent UpdatesIntroductionSpecsGangs & FiltersAlignmentsAudiophile ModsIF Section ModsAntennasRepairsLinksAbout eBayContact Us

Tuners are listed alphabetically by manufacturer and in alphabetical and numerical sequence by model number. In parentheses after the model number are the year of introduction and most recent list price, and/or the original list price if indicated by "orig" (special thanks to David Rich of The Audio Critic for copies of historical material from his reference library). Pleasesee the On-Deck Circle for tuners that we know very little about or that we're not sure merit a writeup.

Hafler DH-330 (1982, $425)andHafler DH-330K (kit - 1984, $400) owner's manual, front end schematic, review) search eBayThe only Hafler tuner that is reputed to be halfway decent is the very common, ugly-looking FM-only DH-330. Our contributor Ed (VE) says, "The Hafler tuner is a computer-controlled unit with varactor tuning, 3 in the RF and 2 for a buffered local oscillator. The DH-330's selectivity can be improved with the addition of a ceramic filter IF amp at the mixer output. This mod is not extensive but does require parts selection. The transistor amp is easy enough but the ceramic filter is another story, as filters can vary significantly in characteristics and must be selected. The selection process requires a good scope, an FM signal generator for the sweep signal and another FM tuner to provide a source for the 10.7 MHz signal required to pick out a good one. I did not look at the audio but one can, from experience, assume that an increase in size and type of capacitors in the audio path reduce bass distortion due to phase delay."Our contributor Joe says, "In comparing the Hafler DH-330 against my other tuners/receivers I find it just a little bit lacking on front end selectivity. It does a pretty credible job in most situations except for a strong station next to a weak one." Thanks to Joe for creating the front end schematic linked above. And Ed adds, "A word of caution on the DH-330. Yes, it does have a headphone jack; however, it is intended for use with high-impedance headphones, not for use with 32-ohm or lower phones. The headphone jack connects directly to a dual 10K volume control, and then back to an op-amp." The DH-330 can sell for almost any price on eBay, from under $50 to over $150, and the record low and high are $25 in 10/07 and $175 in 1/08. Be careful and know what you're buying, because the DH-330 was available both factory-built and in kit form as model no. DH-330K, as indicated above. The superb owner's manual contains the instructions for kit assembly as well as operation.

Harman/Kardon: There are several Harman/Kardon tuners in our On-Deck Circle and on the Tube Tuners page for which we'd like to get some basic information. If you've used any of them, please post the details in our FMtunersgroup.

Harman/Kardon Citation 14 (1973, $525, with cabinet, without cabinet, back 1, back 2, inside 1, inside 2, ad, schematic, service manual, user manual) search eBay and Harman/Kardon Citation 15 (1973, $395, with cabinet, without cabinet, back, inside, schematic, service manual, user manual) search eBay Below, our contributor Eli outlines the features and specs of the Citation 14, Citation 15 and Citation 18 (which also has its own separate entry below). All of them are FM-only tuners. Our contributor Esmond adds, "The 14 has three circuit boards on the chassis top and another three on the underside. I imagine the 15 does too, as three PCBs just isn't enough. The RF board with all those LC filters is completely sealed inside an enclosure that can't be removed without removing another PCB or two first, and HK doesn't even list the transistor types. You were expected to buy the whole 'FM front end' assembly for servicing purposes. The audio sections of the 14 use a large number of 2N3417 transistors; these days I guess you would use BC639. The PSU uses a multi-section electro which could be hard to source these days. *Very* nice design and build quality." Nice Citation 14s usually sell for $140-260 on eBay, but $75-100 is more likely for cosmetically challenged ones. The Citation 15 can sell for almost anywhere from $50-200 on eBay, depending on condition; to illustrate, a decent one with a wood cabinet went for $64 in 3/09, but another fetched $240 in 5/09 (go figure). Here's Eli: "An eBay listing said that the 14/15 had the first PLL MPX in a production tuner, but I don't know whether this is true. Common to all three:

* Patented "Quieting Meter" that measures the signal-to-noise ratio of the received signal * All-metal buttons and switches * FM-only * Single IF bandwidth * Rear-panel Muting threshold control * Rear-panel Stereo threshold control * Large, heavy metal tuning flywheel * Thick, heavy aluminum faceplate and overall very substantial construction on essentially the same chassis for all three models * Fourteens and Fifteens were all finished in silver brushed aluminum, as far as I can tell. Eighteens were nearly all black-faced, but there are some silver-faced Eighteens out there. * Unusual rounded-corner walnut cabinets were available, along with rack-mount kits and even a screened metal rack designed to hold one of these tuners along with a matching 16 power amp and an 11, 17 or 17-S preamp (the 17-S matches the 18 styling and is simpler than the 11 and 17)

* Rear panel features: Fixed and Variable audio outputs X and Y oscilloscope outputs Composite signal output for external 4-channel adapter 75- and 300-ohm screw antenna terminals 75-ohm antenna coax F-connector Switched AC convenience outlet* Specifications: IHF Usable Sensitivity: 2.0 µV Selectivity: 60 dB Limiter Saturation: > 2.0 µV @ +/- 75 kHz (-1 dB) THD @ 1 kHz: mono: 0.25%, stereo: 0.35% Signal to Noise ratio: -70 dB minimum Image rejection: Fundamental Plus 1/2 IF: > -100 dB IF Rejection: AM Rejection: 60 dB minimum Capture Ratio: > 2.0 dB SCA Rejection: Inaudible Pilot Signal Rejection: Subcarrier Suppression: Citation Fifteen (1973-77):* Four-gang tuning capacitor* Ratio detector* Large black sealed "Nine-Pole LC Toroidal Linear Phase IF Filter" made by Filtech* Front panel features: Switch for external Dolby NR adapter 400 Hz reference tone at level equivalent to 50% modulation Muting switch 1/4" stereo phone plug receptacle for tape out L and R gain control sliders Mono/Auto-Stereo switch Stereo noise filter switch Large center-tune and quieting meters Horizontal drum tuning dial scale with very large numbers Unusual green-colored backlit displays for meters and dial scale* Rear panel features: Fixed and Variable audio outputs Inputs and outputs for external adaptor (these may be used for any other type of adapter you choose, or used for a tape recorder loop or input for another source component to your system) Composite signal output for external 4-channel adapter 75- and 300-ohm screw antenna terminal Switched AC convenience outlet* Specifications: IHF Usable Sensitivity: 2.0 µV Selectivity: 60 dB Limiter Saturation: THD @ 1 kHz: mono: 0.25%, stereo: 0.35% S/N Ratio: -70 dB minimum Image Rejection: > -90 dB Fundamental Plus 1/2 IF: > -90 dB IF Rejection: > -90 dB AM Rejection: 60 dB minimum Capture Ratio: SCA Rejection: Inaudible Pilot Signal Rejection: > 50 dB Subcarrier Suppression: > 50 dB Multiplex Separation @ 1 kHz: 45 dBCitation Eighteen (1978-79): * Five-gang tuning capacitor * Ratio detector * One 3-pin and one 4-pin ceramic IF filter (equivalent to 3 filters, total) * Two wideband 2-watt stereo amplifiers for headphones (but will also drive efficient speakers) * Plug-in circuit boards for easy repair or modification * Very large potted power supply transformer * Very nicely painted black chassis with very informative white labels silk-screened on * Front panel features: Switch for external processor loop Switch for 25 µS de-emphasis (intended for Dolby FM) Switch for stereo noise filter Two(!) 1/4" stereo headphone jacks Monitor level knob to control headphone output Art Deco-style quieting meter (no center tune meter) "IN TUNE" beacon to tell you when you're right on channel Slide rule tuning dial with illuminated pointer, attractive backlit green numbers and a mirrored center section for accurate tuning without parallax error 3-position Auto/Stereo Only/Mono switch Unique 3-position Muting switch: when set to Wide, some interstation noise may be heard when tuned to the immediate left or right of a strong signal. When set to Narrow, the tuner: "will mute whenever the IN TUNE beacon is not illuminated, denoting that the tuner is off the center of a broadcast channel..." * Rear panel features: L+R audio outputs with ganged level control Inputs and outputs for external processor (these may be used for a tape recorder loop or input for another source component to your system) 75-and 300-ohm spring-loaded antenna terminals 75-ohm antenna coax F-connector * Specifications (Amplifier): 2 watts per channel @ 8 ohms with 0.1% THD, 20 Hz - 20 kHz Rise time: 5 µS TIM: 0.05% * Specifications (Tuner): 30 dB Quieting Sensitivity mono: better than 11.2 dBf (2.0 µV) 50 dB Quieting Sensitivity mono: better than 15.1 dBf (3.2 µV) 50 dB Quieting Sensitivity Stereo: better than 37.3 dBf (40 µV) THD @ 1 kHz: better than 0.15% mono (0.09% typical), better than 0.3% stereo (0.25% typical) S/N ratio: -74 dB mono, -64 dB stereo Capture ratio: 1.5 dB Selectivity: 70 dB IF Rejection: FM 100 dB Image Rejection: FM 100 dB Fundamental Plus 1/2 IF Rejection: 100 dB SCA Rejection: 63 dB 19 kHz and 38 kHz Rejection: 60 dB AM Rejection: 55 dB Mute Suppression: 70 dB Multiplex separation @ 1 kHz: better than 50 dB Audio Frequency response (before de-emphasis): 10 Hz-50 kHz +/- 0.5 dB"Harman/Kardon Citation 18 (1977, $595, front1,front2, front3, back 1, back 2, schematics and alignment guide)search eBayThe Citation 18, a solidly built 5-gang analog tuner with good sensitivity and decent sound, was available in black or (rare) silver. It has only two filters, but one is the old 4-pin type that is equivalent to two modern 3-pin filters. We thought the Citation 18 had wide and narrow IF bandwidth settings, but our contributor Eli corrected us: "The Citation 18 doesn't actually have wide and narrow IF bandwidths. The wide and narrow switch affects only the bandwidth of the muting. It's quite a strange and useless (to me) feature. I wonder if the designer intended to have two tuning bandwidths, but the accountants ($) or the marketers (deadline) got to it and they used the already-added switch to perform this useless function." It does have adjustable muting and stereo-mono thresholds, and TWO front-panel headphone jacks with an adjustable volume control. Inside, the Citation 18's plug-in circuit boards should make it easy to work on if one can read the schematics. Bill Ammons aligned and tweaked a Citation 18 and says, "For a tuner with only 3 ceramic filters it has very good 400 kHz selectivity and about 6 to 10 dB of 200 kHz selectivity." A contributor to our FMtuners group posted a nice writeup on the Citation 18. Our contributor doug s. says that compared to his refurbished Tandberg 3001A, his upgraded Citation 18 has "better soundstaging and warmth, with equal detail," and it is also much more sensitive than his other tuners. doug said, "The Citation 18 has the best blend circuit of any tuna I have tried. It preserves the high-frequency ambiance and details, while only slightly narrowing the soundstaging." He added, "I currently have three Citation 18s: my modded/refurb'd unit, and two stock that need some service. Both worked fine for several weeks, and then both developed the same symptom: reduced output in one channel. I also had a prior modded/refurb'd unit, since sold. All have stiff tuning. Yes, even though quite handsome, with above-average sensitivity and killer sound, IMO, the ergonomics of these are certainly lacking a bit." Our contributor Robert said, "I have a peeve with my Citation 18. I haven't counted and written down *exactly* how many times it's necessary to 'thumb' the tuning wheel to change from 88.1 to 107.9 MHz (my two favorite stations), but I'm thinking it's about 25-30 times, which seems ridiculous." Our contributor Dante replied, "On every one I've tried, the tuning feels 'damped.' I still have a couple and if try to spin the tuning wheel hard to coast down the dial, it won't. Whether or not by design, I don't know, but it is consistent among different units." Read our panelist JohnC's mod and recap recipe for the Citation 18 on our DIY Mods page. Sale prices for the Citation 18 on eBay have risen over the past few years as praise for its performance and moddability has continued in our FMtuners group. Anything from $178 (in 6/07) to $570 or $588 (in 1/07) is possible, but $250-300 is probably a good price.

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• lsanywebsite
  • Niki Jhone
    Niki Jhone
  • Iliyana Clark
    Iliyana Clark
  • Amanda Thompson
    Amanda Thompson
  • Muerte Lavrence
    Muerte Lavrence
logo-01.png

Lutheran Schools Association, NY © 2023